Friday, October 10, 2014

Two Woolly Items

I have to be quick today. It is our Thanksgiving long weekend here in Canada, and I have various kids arriving at various times. Today was to be my day to clean the house, do some food prep, and get some other odd jobs done before their arrival. Then the phone rang. Suddenly other guests, quite unexpected, are arriving for a visit and will be here in two hours.

My first wool news is about some beautiful mittens. These were a gift from my aunt and uncle (Kath's parents). They have just returned from a trip to Norway and Finland, and knowing how much I love all things wool they got these for me when they were there. Aren't these amazing? They're almost enough to make me feel excited for winter's arrival.


The other wool item is a jacket I knit for Lucy. Pictures of her actually wearing it will have to wait until next time I see her. I had asked Diana what she would like me to knit for Lucy for this fall/winter and this is the pattern she chose.


It's funny because I would never have chosen this pattern myself, if for no other reason than it was knit in parts, which meant having to sew things together at the end. But I surprised myself. I quite liked knitting it, and am really happy with the end result. (I still didn't like sewing the bits together, and I won't be showing any close-ups of the seams.)


This was my first time knitting with Rowan's Pure Wool Worsted, and I have to say I think this might replace Cascade 220 as my go to superwash yarn. The jacket has been washed and blocked, and it held up nicely. 


I have one hour before our unexpected guest arrive, so I need to run. Thank you everyone for all your kind comments on my blog post about my mom's visit, and welcome to all my new followers. Stay tuned for a big announcement next week here at North of 49! 

29 comments:

  1. I love the colour of the little jacket, and those gloves wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a great weekend with your guest. The little coat is cute, one for Jess too maybe, also love the gloves what a thoughtful gift

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy thanksgiving, hope you have a wonderful time making some great memories. The mittens are beautiful what a lovely gift and the little jacket is a delight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The mittens are beautiful, what a thoughtful souvenir gift from your aunt and uncle. And the jacket is adorable. Have a great Thanksgiving weekend, Kristie! (Is the big announcement literary in nature??) -- Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Our last winter was so mild that I didn't need to wear gloves. I would make an exception for those lovely Scandinavian mittens though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, what is the colour of Lucy's cardi called? It's my ideal colour but am struggling to find anything like it in the UK. To be fair, my knitting is very basic but I am becoming addicted to buying wool - shush don't tell the Hubby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, the yarn is Rowan Pure Wool Worsted, and it is colour #139 Peacock. The colour is even richer in person than in these pictures. And don't worry, I won't say a word to your husband. :-)

      Delete
  7. What a lovely jacket - gorgeous colour.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your mittens are simply gorgeous, what a lovely gift. The little jacket is so cute and going to be well loved. Have a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend. P x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have a great time with the family and the mystery guest! The gloves and the jacket are lovely, and a great example of reaping what we sow (and knit). :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow those mittens are something else, I love traditional mittens. They look so interesting to knit. The little jacket is adorable, I love the colour. Your little granddaughter will look so cute in it. Have a happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really love the colour of Lucy's jacket, and it is beautifully knitted, as always Kristie. And your mittens are gorgeous too, and a very special gift. Can't wait to find out your big announcement!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Those mittens are a gorgeous gift. Love the sweater you made for Lucy, she has great taste. Have a wonderful Holiday with those you love.
    Hugs,
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really love the colour of the jacket you have made. The mittens are wonderful and will certainly keep your hands warm.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a beautiful sweater - love the colour and the pattern. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That really is a lovely sweater, and those mitts are fabulous!

    Happy Thanksgiving x

    ReplyDelete
  16. The sweater is beautiful, Kristie. You are so talented. I love the mittens too, I think they'll be very warm. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. ohhh a big announcement??! exciting! Happy Thanksgiving! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy Thanksgiving. Love, love, love the jacket!! And the mittens are divine.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wonderful mittens!! I hope that you are having a great Thanksgiving weekend. I look forward to hearing your news. xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. The cardi is lovely - that yarn makes the stitch patter so crisp.
    The mittens rang a bell, and if you go to Lene Alve's Ravelry store, you will find a pattern that will show you how they were done
    http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/katrilli-mittens
    They are super-special.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for this link, Jean!

      Delete
  21. LOVE the mitts and the cardigan, I cannot wait for winter and as I wait I will enjoy the way fall is slowly unfolding before me. So beautiful!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the colour combinations on the mittens. It's good to let others know what you love ;) The knitted sweater is so cute, and reminds me of one I requested from my own mother when my daughter was born. Beautiful shade of blue! I hope you had an enjoyable Thanksgiving with your family and that the weather was nice and sunny (it was here!). Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy Thanksgiving to you! You are such a talented knitter. Love the colors. Your big announcement has me on the edge of my seat!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love those mittens!
    Looks like a Sami pattern, but in untraditional colours.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Surely this is a site well worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the cardigan...it's such a beautiful colour!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Am I really this far behind on my blog reading? Why yes, yes I am. :o( But the woolly items are gorgeous! Can't blame you with the seams, though! But it looks fabulous!

    ReplyDelete